Both in the Netherlands and Belgium mashed potatoes with leafy greens are a traditional comfort food in winter. An easy and healthy one-pot carb option. Try this version with pumpkin and buttermilk.
Belgian Veggie Mash
An easy and healthy one-pot carb option with lots of fibers and adequate fat to slow down the sugar release. The perfect side for everyday family meals.
- 500 g floury potatoes peeled and diced
- 300 g floury sweet pumpkin or squash diced
- 200 g leafy greens coarsely chopped
- 150 ml buttermilk warmed
- nutmeg, slat and pepper to taste
- Boil the potatoes and pumpkin for 10 minutes in salted water.
- Meanwhile warm the buttermilk in a different pot (don't boil).
- Add the leafy greens to the potato and pumpkin mix and boil for another 5 min.
- Drain and mash with a potato masher.
- Stir in the warm buttermilk and butter and season with black pepper, nutmeg and additional salt to taste.
Traditionally eaten with sausage and gravy, any hearty stew will do.